We understand that not all cats are the best of friends with dogs. Fortunately, there are ten types of 10 Guard Dogs That Are Good with Cats. These ten breeds got along well with felines because they have been raised together since puppyhood, or their ancestors have lived side by side for years without any problems.
Some breeds can get along with pets, while others only tolerate small animals like kittens and puppies. If you plan to introduce a dog into your home, those dogs that are good with cats where there is already an adult cat, it is best to consider one of these ten canine breeds first.
The 10 Guard Dogs That Are Good With Cats:
1) Basenji – Basenjis are very independent hunters but are very comfortable with cats.
2) American Pit Bull Terrier – Pit bulls are used for hunting and killing animals, but they can live beside other pets (cats included).
3) Chow-Chow – The chow chow is a well-known natural hunter, but it adapts well to new environments, even ones with small animals.
4) Bloodhound – Bloodhounds have excellent instincts for tracking anything from humans to small birds. Despite their superb nose, they get along just fine with cats.
5) Newfoundland – Newfoundlands were bred dogs good with cats as water rescue dogs and love being around children and babies, even if a cat is walking around 5 Guard Dogs That Are Good With Cats.
6) Irish Wolfhound – Irish wolfhounds are large dogs with a gentle temperament. They are very patient around children and other animals, making them great companions to have at home.
7) Great Pyrenees -The Great Pyrenees is an intelligent breed that makes for an excellent guard dog. These dogs can be wary of strangers but will get along just fine with your cat.
8) Cane Corso – Cane Corso’s are another guardian breed known to do well with cats, though it might take some time for them to adjust to being around each other.
9) Newfoundland – Newfoundlands are very gentle with children and cat friendly dog, making them excellent companions to have at home. They are also known to adore cats.
10) Akita – Though Akitas are hunting dogs by nature, they can live very comfortably with other pets, including cats and one of the small protective dogs.
These breeds become good family members that get along well with almost everyone, especially kids and these cats! Their loyalty enables them to form close bonds with their families, thus becoming fiercely protective of them. They are territorial creatures hankering for constant human contact, making a living with an indoor cat a breeze even if another pet is present in the house.
Now you know what type of breed might fit best in your household, whether you have one or more cats, so go ahead decide wisely on what breed would be your perfect match.
More Dog Breeds That Are Good with Cats
Some more dogs are comfortable living with cat-like breeds. They are not included in the list because they would prefer to live with other dogs rather than cats or have been brought up together from a young age. And one more question that came to pet owners’ minds do german shepherds get along with cats. In this case, the answer is YES.
The breeds include:
- Miniature Pinscher
- Great Dane
- Irish Wolfhound
- Labrador Retriever
- Siberian Husky
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Miniature Schnauzer
- American Pitbull Terrier
- German Shepherd
- Golden Retriever
- English Setter
- Doberman Pinscher
These were the more dogs that like cats.
Cat Breeds that are Good With Dogs:
Some cat breeds are good with dogs. Here’s a list of 10 to consider:
1) Bengal – Bengals love the company of other animals and will love the attention they get from other pets like dogs.
2) Turkish Van – Turkish Vans can be equally social as their Bengal counterparts, loving the company of both cats and small dogs.
3) American Shorthair – The American shorthair cat is known to do well with other types of pets, including smaller furry ones such as rabbits and guinea pigs. Still, they could live peacefully with a dog, too, without any problems.
4) LaPerm – LaPerms come in two variants-the shorthaired and longhaired, which means that even if your dog is not a fan of cats, they would not mind the presence of the cat breed.
5) Egyptian Mau – The Egyptian Mau is known to be entirely independent and intelligent, which means that if you have a dog at home, training them about having another pet in the house will not be very hard.
6) Sphynx -The hairless felines are notorious for their standoffish behavior with other pets, but if socialized well, they could get along just fine with dogs.
7) Devon Rex -Like their Sphinx counterparts, Devons are also loners by nature but can live alongside another animal without any problem. Cats That Get Along With Dogs.
8) Ocicat – The Ocicat is a crossbreed and could successfully compete in dog shows, making them ideal companions for canines.
9) Russian Blue – Russian blues tend to be aloof with strangers, but if brought up together from a very young age, they will not see the presence of another pet as something unusual or wrong.
10) Bombay – Bombay cats form close bonds with other animals, including dogs, and make great family pets.
If you have a cat and live in an apartment, the Basenji may be the best choice for your family. If you live in an apartment or close quarters, consider adopting a dog like the Great Pyrenees, which is good at adapting to new settings quickly and is Guard Dogs That Are Good with Cats.
We hope that you have a wonderful holiday filled with friends, family, and food. We’re excited to learn what breeds are comfortable and the best guard dog for apartment life! We have also discussed dog protects cat above.
If you have a cat and live in a home with a yard, the Basenji may be the best breed for your household. If you live in an apartment or close quarters, go for a dog comparable to the Great Pyrenees and excels at adapting quickly to new situations.
Who knows, perhaps one day your cute pet will become our loyal companion. We’re relieved to know what breeds are safe with cats!
Explore more informative dog care topics: